TOUR THE TREES OF COLUMBUS
Where the live oaks stand tall and proud.
Columbus is known as the “city of live oaks and live folks” due to the many live oaks that line the city streets and dot the countryside. Our most famous live oak is located at 1340 Walnut, across from the post office.
This behemoth Live Oak has an index of 427 and has garnered worldwide recognition. The Texas Forest Service measured the tree in 2016 and confirmed it to be the largest Quercus Virginia Live Oak tree in Texas. It is estimated to be 500+ years old and is more than 75’ tall and 310” in circumference.
“Columbus Live Oak” is definitely a must-see while you’re in Columbus. While you’re exploring, check out these other very impressive live oak trees around town:
- Columbus ISD (Behind the VFW Hall) – index of 403
- Law offices on the south side of the Colorado County Courthouse – index of 353
- Brookshire Brothers grocery store – index of 342
- City Cemetery at Shaw grave – index of 339
- City Cemetery at J.M. Baker grave – index of 335
- First Baptist Church on northwest side of building – index of 321
- Baumgart Insurance Agencies back lot – index of 313
There’s always something going on in Columbus.