POSITION: Gallery Director
REPORTS TO: Live Oak Art Center President
JOB SUMMARY: The Gallery Director is responsible for the effective and profitable management of the Live Oak Art Center, acquiring and curating exhibits, and designing and staffing educational programs. The Gallery Director is the figurehead of the gallery and is responsible for its reputation in the community.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Experience involving direct communication with the pubic, preferably in a gallery or arts-related setting
- Love of the arts
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Substantial knowledge of general artistic works and terminology
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to write grants and perform fundraising duties
- Superior interpersonal communication skills
- Well organized with attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work as a team player
- Ability to encourage students and other volunteers’ involvement in the artistic life
- Receptionist/Curator: Greet LOAC visitors warmly upon arrival, determine needs, and answer questions. Gather information for potential membership. Answer phone and return calls as needed. Regularly check appearance of gallery to ensure furnishings are orderly and clean.
- Membership: Maintain accurate database of LOAC membership as well as donors and volunteers. Coordinate with webmaster to ensure timely and appropriate features for posting and/or distribution. Coordinate mailing for annual membership meeting.
- Exhibitions: Manage all aspects of the LOAC exhibitions including, but not limited to: locating and reviewing artists for exhibitions, scheduling exhibitions, overseeing and sourcing of exhibits (as well as the safe return of art pieces to contributors, if unsold), design and layout of the gallery for the show, installing exhibits, sending letters of acceptance, printing and mailing invitations to exhibit. Attend openings allowing time for networking to promote artwork sales and becoming acquainted with other artists attending the reception opening. In addition, install work for 6 to 10 exhibits a year (inclusive of the Members Show and annual Juried Exhibition).
- Workshops/Classes: Facilitate or conduct workshops/classes targeted to youth (school-age) and adults. Disperse advertisement of workshops/classes, conduct registration process, order supplies as necessary, ensure facility is open and prepared for workshops/classes.
- Facilities: Manage rentals of building space for events; schedule and coordinate openings and closings associated with building rentals. Notify LOAC President of issues related to the general upkeep of building. Maintain premises, e.g. plants, flooring, lighting, art labels, artwork, etc. Order supplies as necessary, e.g. toilet paper, paper towels, light bulbs, etc. Ensure premises are always clean and neat. Manage petty cash account for day to day operations.
- Grants/Funding: Assist with grant writing or completion of grant paperwork. Assist with the coordination and implementation of LOAC fundraising activities.
- Fiscal: Cognizant of the financial well-being of LOAC by balancing expenses and with income from sales.
- Other duties: Gallery Director and The Courtyard Wine Bar Manager will coordinate events benefiting LOAC and The Courtyard Wine Bar. Perform other duties as assigned by President or Board of Directors. Assume various additional responsibilities as determined by President or Board of Directors.
COMPENSATION: This is a part-time position and compensation will be commensurate with education and experience.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION: The Live Oak Art Center is closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day. This time off is unpaid unless Gallery Director desires to use Personal Time Off (PTO). PTO will be limited to 42 hours per year. Half of this amount may be carried over from one year to the next. Gallery Director will be present at Brunson Night (usually held in October or November) and all gallery openings (held throughout the year). The normal working hours for the gallery are Wednesdays through Fridays from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm and Saturdays from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm for a total of 21 hours/week, not including Brunson Night and/or gallery openings.
Interested in applying? Download the LOAC Application for Employment.
Please submit completed application, resume, cover letter, or inquiries to email@example.com.